Monday, May 26, 2008

Byrne steals victory from Haslam


Shane 'Shakey' Byrne doubled up on race wins at Donington Park this afternoon, after diving down the inside of Leon Haslam at the Melbourne Loop with two lap remaining.

Byrne said: "That really was a long hard race and I didn't make it easy for myself! My start wasn't that bad and it was just a case of picking people off at the right places. I knew I could set the fast laps consistently it was just making up the places at the right time. I must admit that the last pass on Leon (Haslam) was one of those where you shut your eyes and go for it. I am happy with another double win for Airwaves Ducati - roll on Snetterton."

Byrne appeared to be struggling at the beginning of the race, whilst Leon Haslam rocketed off the line on the HM Plant Honda but it was James Ellison who took the lead. It was short lived as a determined Haslam took the inside line at McLeans on the opening lap to take the lead.

Once past Ellison's Hydrex Bike Animal Honda Haslam then edged away at the front whilst behind there was a four-way scrap for second place between Cal Crutchlow, James Ellison, Leon Camier and then the chasing Airwaves Ducati of Byrne.

Byrne was able to make his move on Camier first at the Melbourne Loop on lap thirteen, then a lap later took Ellison to move to third and on to the back of the HM Plant Hondas.

Crutchlow was defending hard from the shadowing Byrne but on lap seventeen he left the smallest of gaps on the inside line at the Melbourne Loop which was all that Byrne needed to move to second.

One lap later he repeated the pass on the second HM Plant Honda of Haslam, who was unable to repay the manoeuvre, giving him his second podium of the day.

Haslam said: "Once I was in the lead I tried to keep setting consistent laps and then with three laps to go I could hear the Ducati behind me. When Shakey came past I just couldn't get him back, he had just timed it perfect. I am happy that I have finally been able to give the HM Plant Honda team my first double podium. I am now looking forward to Snetterton as I think that circuit will suit the Honda Fireblade."

Leon Camier just missed out on a podium finish in fourth, whilst James Ellison followed him home in fifth.

Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Donington Park, race two result:

1. Shane Byrne (Airwaves Ducati)
2. Leon Haslam (HM Plant Honda) +0.355s
3. Cal Crutchlow (HM Plant Honda) +1.447s
4. Leon Camier (Airwaves Ducati) +1.596s
5. James Ellison (Hydrex Bike Animal Honda) +4.186s
6. Tom Sykes (Rizla Suzuki) +7.446s
7. Karl Harris (Team Rob Mac Racing Yamaha) +15.707s
8. Michael Rutter (North West 200 Ducati) +26.794s
9. Simon Andrews (Lloyds Bitish Jentin Racing) +31.816s
10. Gary Mason (Quay Garage Honda) +32.870s

Bennetts British Superbike Championship standings after Donington Park:

1. Shane Byrne (Airwaves Ducati) 190
2. Cal Crutchlow (HM Plant Honda) 122
3. Leon Camier (Airwaves Ducati) 107
4. Leon Haslam (HM Plant Honda) 96
5. James Ellison (Hydrex Bike Animal Honda) 88

1 comment: